FREE PRAYER & PROPHECY

FREE PRAYER & PROPHECY 24/7 @ www.estherscallprayerministry.org!

NEW BLOG (SAME AUTHOR!) - COME ON OVER

I STOPPED WRITING ON THIS BLOG IN MARCH 2010. IF YOU LIKE THIS BLOG CONTENT, PLEASE COME VISIT MY NEW BLOG @ http://awomanatthewell-sarahcox.blogspot.com


Deuteronomy 31:8

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

Praise You in This Storm by Casting Crowns

About Me

McAlester, Oklahoma, United States

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Need for Simplicity

This morning, I had a revelation that God has been trying to show me over the past few months. It is just one more part of the old sinful nature of who I am that God would like to deal with. What is it? Laziness. Looking at my life, one could say that I am definitely not lazy because I am always busy and constantly doing something....but I learned today that this is just a mask for my true heart condition of sloth "laziness and apathy." Today, God showed me two ways in which laziness has taken hold in my life:

1.) Laziness due to a fear of failure.
2.) Laziness due to discouragement from past problems.

The hardest part about agreeing with God regarding my laziness is that I have to work to change this part of my life. And since the laziness has been manifesting in me becoming a "busybody," it can be quite confusing as to whether what I am doing is productive or just a way to escape the real tasks that need to be accomplished. I know that I often look at a problem or a task that I think I might not be able to complete, and instead of tackling it head on, I get myself "busy" doing something else which seems to be productive. I believe this is what some people do to avoid the problematic areas of their lives, and I am one of those people. If their marriage is struggling, they start going out with their friends. Or in the case of a Christian, they get involved in every ministry they can volunteer for. If they have trouble with friendships, they make themselves busy so they can tell others they are just working SO hard on other things. Once again, I am guilty of this. If they know they should be working on something particular (but undesirable), they procrastinate by watching TV, working on outdoor projects, etc. and obsessing over things that are really not important.

This shows that they are really productive, right? Or is this just a way of escaping the things that need their attention most, like a needy wife, or a needy friend, or a bathroom that needs to be cleaned (AGAIN). My vice lately has been getting involved more in what I write/do on the Internet as "ministry." I am not saying that spreading the gospel message of Christ is not worthwhile (even on the Internet) but for me, God has urged me time and time again to clean my house, take care of my husband's needs, make sure my daughter's homework is done, do the laundry, etc. All the things which I want to make the last priority in life because I don't enjoy doing them, and I frankly don't do them very well. I look at my house sometimes and it seems like a mess to me. Then I spend all day cleaning it, and the next day, it is a mess again....then I get discouraged and I give up for a few days, then it gets WORSE, then I have to convince myself to catch up again....and then it starts all over. I have tried blaming my family for being messy. I have tried blaming my parents for not teaching me right (although they tried). I can blame lack of money, lack of the right furniture, or a hundred other things...but the bottom line is that God wants to teach me diligence in my work at home. He is making me do the things that I dislike to rid my life of laziness and apathy. And He is doing it to cleanse my soul from all unrighteousness. And it is not fun, or easy, and sometimes I just downright do not appreciate learning this lesson!!!!

But....I have confessed my sinfulness to God and I have asked Him to help me. I might have to spend more money on being organized, and I may have to get rid of some of the excess, but I am going to learn to live in a home that I can maintain. I give kudos to the women who live in big houses and have a lot of fancy furniture, and every corner is spotless. I sincerely respect their ability to keep their lives organized, but I am not yet capable of doing this, so I am going to simplify my life. I am going to strive to be more of an organized, planning type of woman, and I am going to put effort into keeping my home in a way that glorifies my Lord! This past year has meant of a lot of growing in this area, and a lot of changes in my life, but I am so thankful to the God that He never gives up on me. And He doesn't expect more from me today than I am able to achieve. He knows that this will be a long, slow process of changing my nature, but I know He will be with me the entire way!

I thank you all for letting me share my struggles with you all today. This is just one of many areas that the Lord is perfecting me, refining me, and changing the way I live and behave. Sometimes, the Christian life can be challenging and even painful, but I am thankful to be moving in the right direction. I hope that this encourages all those housewifes, and dedicated spouses out there to keep trying to live out godliness! We must not grow weary in doing good, for the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up! Cheer up, God is beside you and is going to help you through every day and every challenge if you have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior. If have you have not, think about doing it today!

May God bless you all with simplicity in your lives, and cleanse your souls from all unrighteousness in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Sarah

No comments: