FREE PRAYER & PROPHECY

FREE PRAYER & PROPHECY 24/7 @ www.estherscallprayerministry.org!

NEW BLOG (SAME AUTHOR!) - COME ON OVER

I STOPPED WRITING ON THIS BLOG IN MARCH 2010. IF YOU LIKE THIS BLOG CONTENT, PLEASE COME VISIT MY NEW BLOG @ http://awomanatthewell-sarahcox.blogspot.com


Deuteronomy 31:8

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

Praise You in This Storm by Casting Crowns

About Me

McAlester, Oklahoma, United States

Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Command for Christians

I had an interesting conversation today with a person of spiritual authority over a group of believers. It was said to me that perhaps it is not always best to talk to people about the gospel during their times of greatest suffering because they are not always receptive. I have not been able to let go of this comment, so I believe that God would like me to speak about it here. This is a message directed to all Christians. We were commanded to "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" (Matthew 28:19). This is the great commission for believers in Christ to spread the gospel to others. Jesus said "Come to me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28). So, why would we NOT go preach the gospel message to those in the greatest need. God spoke through the prophet Isaiah and said:

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the afflicted: He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn..." (Isaiah 61:1-2)

We are commanded by God to go to those who are suffering and give them the good news of Jesus Christ, and his salvation for us! When people are hurting, that is when they need God the most and they are MOST likely to receive the message of salvation. God sometimes has to completely break down a person's life before they will realize they are nothing without him, turn their hearts to Him, and allow him to heal and restore. I pray today that Christians would not make excuses in their hearts and minds to not preach the gospel EVERYWHERE they go. We should be there to love those who are suffering and mourning. The Bible tells us what is happening in the world today, and what is yet to come. It involves many years of suffering and pain and hardship....things are going to get much worse before Jesus comes to restore everything that was destroyed. It's all in the scripture, and if one discerns the time, he/she can see many examples of the truth of scripture in the circumstances of the world today. The scripture warns believers in Matthew 25 what happens if we do not invest the talents (treasure) that God has given us to multiply it through ministry. He calls this person a "wicked, lazy servant." This is the person that received the gospel message when it was preached to him/her, and received it with joy and was saved (thus Jesus canceled the debt) but this person is not willing to risk anything to share this message with others, or serve others who are in the faith. I believe it is FEAR that causes most of the problem, fear of rejection, fear of persecution, fear of pain and suffering, fear of leaving our comfort zones. The apostles of the early church did not let fear stop them from starting the Christian church, although most of them were martyred for their faith in Jesus Christ.

As Christians, we have moved a distance away from the original Great Commission of Jesus to make disciples of all nations. Scripture states:

"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." (Matthew 10:37-39)

Fellow Christians, we need to remember to put God first in our lives. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10) Take courage, and begin to preach the gospel to ALL in need fearlessly. If you lack courage, ask God for it and you will receive it. Jesus promised you anything you ask for in his name. He certainly did not want you to be afraid. In final closing thoughts, this is the scripture I leave you with.

(2 Timothy 1:7-8)

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God..."

In Christ alone,

Sarah

No comments: