FREE PRAYER & PROPHECY

FREE PRAYER & PROPHECY 24/7 @ www.estherscallprayerministry.org!

NEW BLOG (SAME AUTHOR!) - COME ON OVER

I STOPPED WRITING ON THIS BLOG IN MARCH 2010. IF YOU LIKE THIS BLOG CONTENT, PLEASE COME VISIT MY NEW BLOG @ http://awomanatthewell-sarahcox.blogspot.com


Deuteronomy 31:8

"The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

Praise You in This Storm by Casting Crowns

About Me

McAlester, Oklahoma, United States

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Hearing the Voice of God

Two years ago, if someone had told me that I could hear God's voice leading me each and every day, I would have thought they were crazy. Actually, there was a specific time and place where a Christian told me they heard God, and I laughed and mocked them. My friends and I would joke about her statements to have been told by God what to do in life. But the Bible tells me why I could not hear God as well, and I do hear him now.

John 10:26-28

"but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand."

The simple difference between not hearing God's voice (laughing at those who do in unbelief), and hearing God's voice was simply accepting the Good Sheperd, Jesus Christ, to be my Lord and Savior. However, I did not just wake up one day and be able to clearly hear the Lord inside of me prompting me in one direction or another. I had to learn to discern and listen to his voice above all the other voices that we hear inside of us. His voice becomes clear and begins to stand out above all the rest. The most distinguishing thing about his voice is that when I obey what it tells me, I am blessed continually....and by blessed, I mean I experience a deep peace, joy and fulfillment inside my soul that I am doing the right thing. There is confirmation from the Holy Spirit which lives inside of me that I have heard the voice of God, and that I followed in obedience correctly. Sometimes, if I am full of doubt, God will go beyond the inner voice to speak to me through a church sermon, a friend who calls unexpectedly to help me, or even just through my daily time of reading God's Word. But many times, I simply feel a deep thought that is suddenly (out of nowhere) impressed upon my heart, and I act in faith.

I believe many Christians hear the voice of God and act upon these leadings every day, but there are many more who have not learned, or still doubt that the voice can be heard so clearly! This is how I live my life. I pray, read God's Word, and allow God to give me direction each and every day on how to live. As I have been following the voice of my Lord, I have begun to live in a full measure that I had never experienced before. I wake up ready for each day, knowing it will be filled with goodness and adventure. You see, I have never been a person that loved routine and monotony. But, really, who does? I loved life to be really LIVED, and not just a spectator sport. I spent my days "living" in the party scene, thinking that this was the best life could get. I was sadly mistaken.

John 6:50 says:

"But here is the bread that has come down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

Every day, I make a point of feasting on God's Word, and letting Jesus be my "daily bread." As I live for him, and he lives through me, I experience life everlasting starting now.

When I first accepted Jesus as my Savior, the only prayer I knew was the Lord's Prayer. And I was not even the best at saying it, I had to memorize it. This was the level of communication I had with my Lord. I would pray the Lord's Prayer every day, although I did not even know the full meaning behind it. It is a great place to start for someone who has just met Jesus. It included all the necessary parts of praying to God, but it leads to a more fulfilling relationship. When I had enough faith and understanding, I began talking to God as a friend. I began telling him what was going on in my life (although I learned that he already knows), and he would respond through my daily circumstances to what I had said. If there is no better proof that there is a living God that exists today, this is it. I cannot see the future, nor change the events that are in my path. Trust me, I do not spend all my time trying to make my plans fit my prayers...God does that. It would be incredibly overwhelming for me to even try! I just give my life to God, and let him do the rest. And at times, I won't even be praying, but rather be thinking a lot about something....having told no one, and my questions in my head will be answered by circumstances. You see, God knows all of our thoughts. When we get stuck on a thought in our minds, God hears us meditating on this! He can answer your "prayers" even if you never thought you had prayed.

Psalm 139:1-4

"O Lord you have searched me and know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely, O Lord."

God knows everything you do, say, think or feel even better than you know yourself. When you are in a right relationship with God, you are able to pray, think and communicate with God, and he will respond to you in ways that you have never imagined. This builds your faith, and encourages you to grow in a deeper relationship with the only living God of the Universe. Think about that today!!!

I pray that this finds you today in peace and full of joy. I pray that if you know God, you will grow in your ability and discernment of his voice. If you do not know him, perhaps today is the day you will meet your maker.


All praise and honor and glory to God in Jesus' name, Amen.

Sarah

No comments: